Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Officially irritated with YouTube

I am officially irritated with YouTube.com after I attempted to upload a video in which Steven Colbert makes fun of Korean singer Rain by doing his own version of a Korean pop song video. It's absolutely hilarious and I had wanted to share it. At last, it was not to be.

One good thing about my being so busy with work is that I am spending less time watching YouTube, leaving messages and comments on Myspace and Facebook and playing Poppit on Pogo.com. Yet, I am getting fewer personal e-mails, too. I guess you have to give to get.

I am getting a lot of e-mails at work, however, they have been of a different tone. They are mainly of two tones: I disagreed with your stories completely or I think you did a good job with your coverage of... I get a kick out of both e-mails. I am so happy to be getting feedback, period. By receiving these responses, I know that people are reading my stories and that they are important enough and stimulating enough to cause a reaction. When I write a story, I just try to write the most accurate, interesting and well-written story possible. I don't really think of people reading the story, but I do try to vision how it will look on the page. I am now able to better visualize layout since I have been working at the newspaper for nearly a month.

The past month at the Enterprise has gone pretty quickly. I have been feeling so rewarded. Yesterday, was a pretty crazy day in that I worked for 10 1/2 hours with no breaks, but I loved every minute of it. My phone was ringing off the hook and I was getting things done! The only thing that I struggle with on days like that or even during busy afternoons is that I have a hard time taking a really good and visually interesting photograph. I have a hard time switching from journalist-thinking to photographer-thinking. I usually get a little lazy with my pictures when a deadline is looming. I usually feel like it is more important for me to excel at the story versus the photograph. I have been trying to take time to go out and get better photos. I appreciate the opportunities to be a photojournalist for a while.

I am interested to see how my skills and abilities will continue to involve the more time I am at the Enterprise and then when I eventually move on to another paper.


Quotes: If you stop to be kind you must swerve often from your path. --Mary Webb

I certainly wasn't happy. Happiness has to do with reason, and only reason earns it. What I was given was the thing you can't earn, and can't keep, and often don't even recognize at the time; I mean joy. --Ursula L. LeGuin

No comments: