Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The County Fair: a Feast for the Senses




The Waukesha County fair is like all other county fairs in that it satisfies and irritates the senses. Pleasureable sensory triggers include the smell of corn on the cob with lots of melted butter, the taste of sticky-sweet cotton, the sight of kids carrying large stuffed animals won for too much money, the feel of a horse's velvety nose and the sound of friends laughing and screaming on amusement rides. Then there are the less attractive triggers such as the smell of cigarette smoke, the stepping in cow manure, the smell of the cow manure, the sound of a sappy country band...but really a fair is more pleasure than pain. It was certainly that way for me this year. I love fair food and often indulge in a few items. You gotta love a cream puff on a hot and humid day in Wisconsin.

This year, I got to ride many amusement rides and laugh until it hurt. I haven't been on that many amusement rides since I don't know when. My favorite ride as a kid and it still is my favorite is the Tilt-a-Whirl. It's such a simple ride, but the simple pleasure of twirling is unbeatable. I just sit back and let the ride thrill me.
I hope that if you missed the county fair, you'll be able to go to the Wisconsin State Fair, which although bigger, is still great and has retained a lot of fair charm. But the county fair remains the one to have your senses tickled.

Calvin and Liam ride a rollercoaster
Kaitlin pets a deer
Quote:
"It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones." --Jean Webster

1 comment:

Bryon Houlgrave said...

We forgot to have that cream puff.