Wednesday, July 4, 2007

New Job, New Outlook on Life

It's been a while since I put some personal information on here. I think that I was feeling kind of disillusioned with many aspects of my life, but that has changed.

I started a new job on June 19 for the local newspaper. I am now officially a full-time staff reporter covering breaking news, features, local news, and business news. My beat was originally to be the school district and the Town of Oconomowoc, but now it looks like I will be covering the city of Oconomowoc and Town of Summit. For most of you, this doesn't mean much, but the latter is a pretty big deal. Oconomowoc is booming and the growth in population and businesses is growing very quickly. We are going to be having a new mall and movie theatre and my beat will be to cover that growth and how the city deals with it.

Currently, I am the only reporter at the newspaper, The Oconomowoc Enterprise. It is a small weekly paper with a circulation of 5,500 or so and two reporters, a part-time sports reporter, a sports editor, an editor/publisher and three freelancers. I came on board right as the two reporters and the sports editor left. Needless to say, the first two weeks of my job have been very busy. Especially since there were three breaking news stories in that amount of time. I was out there with the tv news crews and enjoying every minute of it.

Journalism can really be an adrenaline rush. There are days, too, when it is boring. Overall, I am loving my new job. I really feel like I have found what I love to do.

No comments: