Monday, April 23, 2007

Thinking Green not only on Earth Day

Sunday was Earth Day here in the USA. For the first time that I remember, Earth Day got a lot of coverage in the media and many museums and parks had activities on the day. Oprah talked about it. The local newspaper ran many stories. Outpose foods had a special celebration. Even Cudahy Park had a clean-up day.



I found out about many little things that can make a huge difference that I plan to implement in my life. For one, I will buy about 20 cloth napkins at rummage sales this summer and start using those at meals instead of the very bad-for-the-environment paper napkins. Also, I plan to buy some flourescent light bulbs for my lamps, to unplug my cell phone charger when not in use, and to wash all of my clothes on cold.



Recently, I have begun to make a huge effort to take cloth totebags into the grocery store with me. They are durable and so much easier to carry than the paper or plastic bags. I can really load up my tote bag from Piggly Wiggle with lots of groceries. Once I began to get in the habit of using the tote bags, I was anxious to see what other little differences I could implement in my life. I strongly encourage you to make some small changes. Perhaps, just recycling more or cleaning up some trash in a park.



On Earth Day, my aunt Ellen and I collected litter along Lake Michigan. It was an impromptu thing. We had been going for a walk along the lake, when we found a plastic bag with a water bottle lying next to it. We took both bag and bottle and filled the bag up. The problem: there was so much more trash to pick up. I plan to make another trip to the lake this summer with a big black garbage bag to pick up a lot more!

Ellen picking up trash on Lake Michigan for Earth Day.





Quote:

"In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia." -Charles Lindbergh, Life Magazine, 1967

"You are a child of the Universe, no less than the moon and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should. "
-Max Ehrmann

No comments: