Thursday, April 5, 2007

A soundtrack for my life

Kind of going off of what I wrote about on Tuesday; I have always wanted a soundtrack to accompany my life. When I watch a movie, I love how the director incorporates music/score into the scenes and how that music affects the mood of the whole scene. What would the flying plastic bag scene be if not for that eerie score from American Beauty? Music makes us feel like crying along with a main character as her heart is broken. It makes us feel so happy when that character discovers that she is in love.

I think that most people want there to be a soundtrack for his/her life. The evidence is the popularity of the Ipod and Zune and MP3 players. One benefit of always having headphones on and having music whispering in your ear is that it feels like your life has a soundtrack. At least that's how I feel. I remember listening to my Zune on the Seoul subway. Listening to music while watching my fellow riders gave me a whole new perspective. It affects my mood and my thinking process.

I have decided to make a soundtrack for my life. I am going to start compiling a list of songs whose mood or lyrics fit my life. The lyrics will not always perfectly fit, but they will represent a part of me or my life. I think that this will be a fun project. I will publish the list here when I am done with it.


Quote:

"It matters immensely. The slightest sound matters. The most momentary rhythm matters. You can do as you please, yet everything matters."
--Wallace Stevens


"You must undestand the whole of life, not just one little part of it. That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing, and dance, and write poems, and suffer, and understand, for all that is life."
--J. Krishnamurti, "Think on These Things"

No comments: