Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Anime


I haven't written anything in nearly a week because I have had to make some major life choices. They were difficult and I stressed over them for a few days. The major decision that I had to make also forced me to reevaluate some other aspects of my life as well. It was a difficult few days, but I feel that I have made the right decision. I now want to move forward with my life.


I just finished watching one of my favorite tv shows. It's an anime series called Samurai Champloo. I want to thank Aaron for introducing it to me. There are 26 very well-made episodes in the series. The show is about Fuu- a young Japanese woman who is starting a mission to find the "Samurai who smells of Sunflowers." One day she working in a restaurant when her life is threatened by some government hot shots. Two customers, Mugen and Jin get into the fight. Both are eventaully arrested and are going to be killed when Fuu saves them. In return, they agree to help protect and guide Fuu (she also has a pet flying squirrel) on her journey. Mugen and Jin are both badass swordsmen, but who have very different personalities and fighting styles. Mugen has a hip hop, beatboxing flair to his fighting (in the fact the show has a hip hop edge to it). Jin is more traditional and conservative. As the series goes on, the viewer learns more about these characters and their sad pasts.


the show has so much depth. I really got to feel affection for the character. Also, the art is beautiful and so many of the elements of the show are unexpected. It is one of the best-made shows that I have ever seen. It's not for everyone, but I think that most people can appreciate it.


I have to watch some more anime before I go to the anime convention in Chicago in May. I am really excited about it. The only other shows that I have watched are Full Metal Alchemist, Gunslinger Girl and Cowboy Bebop. I never thought that I would like Anime, but it is often very artisitic and original.
Quote:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
--Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: