Monday, December 18, 2006

It's all starting to sink in


It really started to sink in today that I am leaving Korea in a really short time. I had the help of a former student of mine today at immigration. James was a great friend to help me. Most people try to avoid government offices at all costs. I was so happy that James helped me out. I didn't have to say a word to the Korean officer, so it was really easy to extend my visa for three days. It was really nice getting to talk with James and his friend, Jason, who just came back to Korea after a year in London.


When I arrived back to my apartment as the sun set, I realized that I am going to be handing over the keys real soon and that I will be taking down all of my cards off the walls. This special space that has been my home for a year soon won't belong to me at all. I am quite sad about it. This is my first place. I have made it my own.

Korean Salvation Army Volunteers
It took me a long time to realize that I was actually going to Korea last year. I had packed my suitcases, said my goodbyes and yet the seriousness of my decision only really started to hit me when I got on the plane at Seattle to Tokyo. I was one of the few people on the plane not speaking an Asian language. I think that I am realizing what I am doing a little earlier this time. And I think that this realization might make it more difficult to say goodbye. When I left the USA, I knew that I would see those people again, but I may and probably won't see most of the people here again. I have a feeling that I will see some of them again and that I will keep in touch with many of them.


I hope to absorb as much of Korea in the next 11 days as possible.


Quote:
Experience is not what happens to you; but it's what you do with what happens to you.
--Elbert Hubbard

No comments: