Thursday, April 22, 2010

Preparing for departure


It's been a long time since I wrote on Kat in Name Only - 2.5 years. But, it's been an even longer time since I lived in Bucheon, South Korea. Now, after a more than three years away from the country I am preparing to return for a whirlwind of a trip.

I leave Saturday morning, April 24, and return Sunday, May 2. I'll have six full days on the ground to see about a dozen people, gorge on Korean food and see the old stomping grounds.

The process of getting ready for this trip hasn't been as smooth or as easy as I would have liked. I have been putting in long days this week at work with several projects in the hopper. Last night I packed my bags. Tonight I must run to Southridge to get new contacts (cheap) and tomorrow I must hurry home after work to pack up Calypso (my prairie dog) and take her to my parents' house in Oconomowoc for safe keeping while I am gone. Then it's off to the airport shortly after 7 a.m. Saturday.I still have a couple of other loose ends to tie up before I leave, but hopefully it will all get done in time.

Preparing for this vacation has been a bit of a trip down memory lane. I found my subway pass and located my Korean phrase book. I looked up how to get from Osan to Bucheon via subway so my American friend can visit me. And there have been many e-mails between me and some of the best people I have ever known. It's amazing that after more than three years, there are this many former Korean students and friends who still want to make time to see me when I am there. It really touches my heart to know that my visit is so important to my Korean students that they are offering to take off from work and help me with arrangements.

I am going to be keeping this blog going for the next 10 days in case you want to see and read about the food I am eating, the sights I am seeing and the people I am meeting. While in Korea, I am going to be using a computer located in my hotel room. Well, off to the second to last day of work.

2 comments:

Kai Hendry said...

Oh gosh I feel old! Bought a hedge trimmer today for doing up my pathetic back garden in the UK.

Thinking how lucky you are to re-visit Korea. I wonder when I'll get the chance. Feel like I've lived several lives now and all I have time for is to revisit them! :)

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for being my friend in Korea. My time spent there was great. :)

Wait... maybe there is a chance for something new. Teach in China? :)

Kat's Scratch said...

Hey Kai,
I really wish you were here. We'd have a great time. It was so much fun hanging out with you in Korea. We'll have to meet up again some day soon. I'd love to come to see you in London. Or if you ever want to visit me, you're more than welcome to. In fact, I am planning to visit a friend in Washington, D.C. in the fall. Maybe you can meet me there. A little bit more to do and see there than where I live.